"Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people"

- John Adams - Second President (1797 - 1801)

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Evening News Update | October 28, 2009

After an early October snow and freezing temperatures -
the first brand new bloom on a Yellow Autumn Daisy that had grown from wildflower seed
that I had planted this summer

This overcast afternoon on my way down my little brick pathway to feed my spoiled squirrels and birds, immediately after ducking to get under my overgrown trumpet vine archway I immediately saw this happy little daisy bloom waiting for me next to my plum tree.

This summer I played Johnny Appleseed with a quarter pound of mixed perennial wildflower seed - sprinkling the seeds around in various places. I always get a smile on my face when I run across another new interesting little guy blooming from that mixture of seeds.

The LAST thing I expected to run across this afternoon was to discovering a new bloom on a new plant in my yard. I have to get on the internet to sometimes identify the new wildflower choosing to grow - and this is a Hardy Yellow Autumn Daisy. The white blooms on the Shasta Daisies by my pond are still there ... definitely am liking daisies!

If you notice in the above picture - there is not only the leaves of my white clover but also the leaves of what may be called Creeping Charlie (or alot of other names). It is one tough little plant. I usually hate pulling unwanted plants (weeds) from my flower beds (I feel like a murderer) ... but pulling Creeping Charlie doesn't bother me - you can't kill that plant I swear. You can get it out of a flower bed and return two days later and it looks like you haven't ever weeded.

Tonight finally I decided to research that fast growing little guy that can remind you of an ivy - yet, I have actual Ground Ivy under the Mulberry tree and there is a big difference. After my Internet research - I will need to pull and collect that fast growing little plant for all its medicinal uses!!



Glechoma hederacea (syn. Nepeta glechoma Benth., Nepeta hederacea (L.) Trevir.) is an aromatic, perennial, evergreen creeper of the mint family Lamiaceae. It is commonly known as Ground-ivy.

It is native to Europe and southwestern Asia but has been introduced to North America and is now common in most regions other than the Rocky Mountains. Its common names includeAlehoof, Creeping Charlie (or Charley), Catsfoot (from the size and shape of the leaf), Field Balm, Run-away-robin, Ground Ivy, Gill-over-the-ground and Tunhoof.

Glechoma is sometimes grown as a potted plant, and occasionally as a ground cover. A variegated variety is sometimes commercially available.

While often thought of as a weed because of its propensity for spreading, Glechoma has culinary and medicinal uses which were the cause of its being imported to America by early European settlers. The fresh herb can be rinsed and steeped in hot water to create an herbal tea which is rich in vitamin C. The essential oil of the plant has many potent medicinal properties; the plant has been used for centuries as a general tonic for colds and coughs and to relieve congestion of the mucous membranes. The plant has been demonstrated to have anti-inflammatory properties. It has also been claimed to increase excretion of lead in the urine.

Its medicinal properties have been described for millennia, Galen recommending the plant to treat inflammation of the eyes, for instance. John Gerard, an English herbalist, recommended the plant to treat tinnitus, as well as a "diuretic, astringent, tonic and gentle stimulant. Useful in kidney diseases and for indigestion." It is also useful as a "lung herb".

Glechoma was also widely used by the Saxons in brewing beer as flavoring, clarification, and preservative, before the introduction of hops for these purposes; thus the brewing-related names,Alehoof, Tunhoof, and Gill-over-the-ground.


No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed